Duke Chapel

Monday, October 13, 2008

Another Poem

Coming Home

Sweet breath of sunset and shadows starved,
Sing for me a moment and remember her.
Sigh for me and show me her hues and lost
Colors, like so much gold in the sand.

Walk and let your legs grow weary with mine
Along the passages of the earth; pass along
With this, my memory, and tell me where
She's wandered into the pale.

Hold me in this stillness, this breathless
Place, where warmth fades into frost
And I reach for her hand before I
Realize she's gone and silence laughs at me.

Tell me where heaven went, where God
Promised He'd wait for me, before
Hell came to me in the form of
What she once was, but now, no more.

Can you remember her laugh? Can you
Remember how to forget? Teach me
To forget the day's hours so dreams
May haunt this holiness.

It was a Tuesday, and flowers in your hair
Told me Spring would come, but now
The colors melt into tears and run down
The memories of where I loved you.

Can we wait? The sun comes
For me, but my eyes will
No longer open, for the moon's
Run away with our dawn.

The branches crack the sky
Above me, fingers reaching
To heavens I forget
As snow blinds the light.

There is no one here.
She's gone for now.
Come back tomorrow,
And bring her to us.

I gasp and close my
Pain against false
Hope and reach
Once more.

Then shadows
Fade into
Sun rises;
I see.

Glancing
Back
Towards
My love,

As she
Reaches
Back
For me.

No comments:

Post a Comment